Jesus Changes Everything: "Jesus Changes our Calling"
Jesus Changes Everything: “Jesus Changes our Calling”
John 15:7-8 – “If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask …and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.”
I. Go in His authority. Matthew 28:16-18
1. They doubted themselves.
2. They doubted what they could not see.
3.They doubted the Lord in this specific area.
Colossians 2:9-10 - “…you have been filled in him (made complete), who is the head of all rule and authority.”
2 Corinthians. 5:7 - “…we live by faith and not by sight.”
II. Make disciples. Matthew 28:19
A disciple is a believing follower of Jesus, one who learns from Him in order to live like Him, so others will follow Him.
Disciple-making is an intentional investment in peoples’ lives to see them love God, love others and make disciples.
Qualities of an Effective Spirit-led Disciple Maker:
1. Love God.
Matthew 22:37-38 - “Jesus said, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.’”
2. Love your disciples and spend time with them.
1 Thessalonians 2:8 - “…we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us.”
3. Pray for them and with them.
E.M. Bounds - “You can’t rightly talk to men about God, until you first talk to God about men!”
4. Equip them to lead and give encouraging feedback.
Matthew 10:5,42 – “These twelve Jesus sent out, instructing them… truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.”
5. Send them. (do not hoard them)
John 20:21 - “Jesus said… ‘As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you.’"
III. Teach others to fully obey Him. Matthew 28:20
~The first answers, “I run because my father died of a heart attack at 54, and I want to live long enough to retire and to see my grandchildren grow up.” Good for Us.
~The second replies, “I run because I can eat anything I want, when I run, and I still don’t gain weight. Running also makes me nice and tired, so I sleep soundly at night.” Enjoy the rewards.
~The third says, “When I run, my legs soar over the ground, the wind brushes my face, my heart beats like slow, heavy thunder in my chest and I feel alive with the Lord.” Delight in God and His calling.
1. List the differences between going on a mission with joy and going on one with just a sense of duty?
2. What are right and wrong ways to motivate Christians to obey all Christ has commanded? What did you grow up experiencing?
3. How did the Lord use other human beings in drawing you to Himself when you were exposed to the gospel? How have you experienced being discipled by another this year? Who are you discipling and how is it going?
4. How does focusing on the crucified and risen Christ help you with doubts?
5. What is the importance of believer’s baptism as a part of the Great Commission?
6. Discuss these verses about God’s calling on us as we live in this world. Also, use the verses to pray. John 15:16, 1 Corinthians 1:28-29, 1 Thessalonians 5:24, 2 Timothy 1:9, 1 Peter 2:20-21, 3:9 and Matthew 28:18-20.