Jesus Changes Everything: "Jesus Changes Our View of Suffering"
Jesus Changes Everything: “Jesus Changes our View of Suffering”
I. Jesus struggles and agrees to drink the cup of wrath. (Matthew 26:36-46)
Psalm 11:6 - “Let (God) rain fiery coals on the wicked… a scorching wind shall be the portion of their cup.”
II. Jesus fulfills the plan of His Father foretold in Scripture. (Matthew 26:47-56)
Psalm 55:12-14 - “For it is not an enemy who taunts me… But it is…my companion, my familiar friend. We used to take sweet counsel together; within God's house we walked…”
Zechariah 13:7 - “…the Lord of hosts says, ‘Strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered…’”
Zechariah 14:4 - “On that day his feet shall stand on the Mount of Olives… and the Mount of Olives shall be split in two from east to west…”
III. Jesus chooses to suffer well for the Father’s glory.
1. Expect it.
James 1:2-4 - “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds…so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”
2. Pray in it.
Psalm 50:15 - “Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.”
3. Gather in it.
Acts 1:14 - “All those with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer…”
4. Be silent in it.
Psalm 46:10 - “Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations…”
5. Witness in it.
2 Timothy 4:2 - “Endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.”
Faith Sheet This Week
1. What are some ways you tend to respond when your expectations are unmet?
2. What can we learn about prayer from Jesus’ praying three times for “this cup” to be taken away though He knew it would not be taken away?
3. What are some accusations the world makes against the church? Our church? Which of these should we reject or embrace and why?
4. John Newton said, “Everything is needful that He sends; nothing can be needful that He withholds.” How does this relate to our suffering?
5. Review the Suffering Well truths from Sunday. How are you doing with these? Use 1 Peter 4:12-19 to pray for one another and also others who are suffering.