Stories and Signs: "The Compassionate Samaritan"
Stories and Signs: “The Compassionate Samaritan”
I. Loving God and loving others sums up God’s law. (Luke 10:25-28)
Matthew 15:8 - “This people honors me with their lips, but their heartis far from me.”
II. Loving others means showing gospel compassion. (Luke 10:29-37)
Godly Compassion is the Christ-like love and action aroused in us when we see those in need, who suffer, or who are vulnerable.
Numbers 19:11 - “Whoever touches the dead body of any person shall be unclean seven days.”
Leviticus 19:33-34 - “When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong…you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.”
Truths for us:
1. The Lord’s compassion cannot be shaken.
Isaiah 54:10- “Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed…my unfailing love for you will not be shaken …says the Lord, who has compassion on you.”
2. Gospel Compassion gives our witness creditability.
James 2:14-16 - “What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? …If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you saysto them, ‘Go in peace, be warmed and filled,’ without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?So, also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.”
3. Gospel compassion will be part of our final evaluation.
Matthew 25:34-36 - “Then the King will say…‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom…For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’”
Faith Sheet for Friends and Family this Week
1. What are some answers people would give today about how to inherit eternal life? Role play with someone on how to address those responses.
2. Put yourself in this scene. If Jesus had told you that the way to inherit eternal life is by loving God and loving others, how would you have responded? What questions would you have asked?
3. What are some reasons the two religious leaders passed by the man in distress? What reasons do we give when we want to “pass by on the other side” and not show compassion?
4. Read Luke 9:10-17. Contrast what the disciples wanted to do with the crowd and what Jesus did. What did the disciples not see or understand about the Gospel?
5. How compassionate is MCC? How compassionate are you? Pray as God leads through Colossians 3:12.