The Church on Mission: "Spirit-led Faithfulness"
The Church on Mission: Spirit-led Faithfulness
Acts Chapters 18-20
Faithfulness - Continual love and dependability.
Deuteronomy 7:9 - “Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to…those who love him and keep his commandments.”
Psalm 85:10 – “Steadfast love and faithfulness meet; righteousness and peace kiss each other.”
I. Faithfully proclaim the Gospel at work. (Acts 18:1-4)
Gospel Project - Poets, plumbers, and pastors all have the same primary calling in life—to know Christ and to make Him known.
Acts 20:34 - “You yourselves know that these hands ministered to my necessities and to those who were with me.”
1 Corinthians 9:14-15, 18 - “…the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel. But I have made no use of any of these rights, … That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of charge…”
1 Thessalonians 2:8-9 - “We shared the gospel of God …and our lives as well… For you remember… we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, while we proclaimed to you the gospel of God.”
Proclaiming the Gospel at Work:
1. Work to make much of Him.
Colossians 3:23 - “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.”
2. Outlive others.
Philippians 2:16 - “…shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life.”
“Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.”
“Leave the work bench better for the next man.”
“Don’t pollute this place with a bad attitude.”
“Serve others with joy and thank God you get to do it.”
“Push the paper towels into the trash can and humbly serve wherever you are.”
3. Develop relationships beyond the workplace.
1 Thessalonians 2:8 - “… We were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us.”
4. Involve God's people.
John 13:34-35- Jesus said,“A new commandment I give to you… just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another… all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
5. Share God's story.
Mark 16:15 -Jesus said… “…proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.”
Jeff Vanderstelt - “Every believer is called to full-time paid ministry—God just chooses to route our paychecks through different sources.”
II. Faithfully minister to others with others. (Acts 18:24-28)
Robert E. Coleman- “Having called his men, Jesus made a practice of being with them. This was the essence of his training … letting his disciples follow him and be with Him.”
Mark 3:14 – “Jesus appointed twelve… so that they might be with him and… send them out to preach.”
John 1:39 - “ Jesus said, `Come and see.’” …
Luke 11:1-2 - “Lord, teach us to pray... .” And he said to them, “When you pray…”
2 Timothy 2:1-2 -“… be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also.”
Prayer for Faithfulness:
“As I fast and pray, may I be about You and Your kingdom.
Align my priorities with You.
Love others through me.
Cause me to be faithful where I am.
Use me to disciple those You give me.”
For Discussion this Week
1. When have you recently sensed the leading of the Holy Spirit to share the gospel with someone? How did you respond? What happened?
2. What do you see as the pros and cons of a fully-supported missionary or pastor? Of a working missionary or pastor?
3. How can you use your occupation or time at school as a platform for proclaiming the gospel? Read 2 Thessalonians 3:6-15 and discuss how these truths apply today.
4. What parts of Paul’s message in Acts 20:24 stick out to you and also challenge you with respect to your faithfulness to Jesus’ mission? Do you have a purpose statement? Do you review it daily?
5. What would it look like to leave a legacy of faithfulness in your home? At work? In your career? Read 2 Timothy 2:1-2 and use it as a prayer.