The Church on Mission: "Spirit-led Shipwrecks"
The Church on Mission: Spirit-led Shipwrecks
Psalm 57:1- “…in you my soul takes refuge…I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by.”
Psalm 107:29- “He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed.”
Isaiah 43:2 - “When you go through deep waters I will be with you.”
Luke 8:23-25 – “…as they sailed (Jesus) fell asleep… a windstorm came down…they were filling with water and were in danger. …he awoke and rebuked the wind and the raging waves, and they ceased, and there was a calm. He said to them, ‘Where is your faith?’”
November 10, 1975, the SS Edmund Fitzgerald sank in Lake Superior
Captain McSorely - "We're in a big sea. I've never seen anything like it in my life."
“We’re holding our own.”
Ten minutes later - 29 people are off the radar.
“Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?” – Gordon Lightfoot
I. Storms strengthen our faith in God’s promises. (Acts 27:1-21)
II. Storms allow us to strengthen others with God’s promises. (Acts 27:22-44)
III. Storms position us to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ. (Acts 28:1-31)
Difficulties. (Acts 28:1-10)
Delays. (Acts 28:11)
Blessings. (Acts 28:8-16)
Ministry. (Acts 28:12-22)
Disciple-making. (Acts 28:30-31)
For Discussion This Week
1. How have you, or someone you know, recently experienced life-change in the blink of an eye? What has been the result(s)?
2. Do you ask to be filled with the Spirit often? If you were fully yielded to the Lord each day, what changes would you expect to see? (Ephesians 5:16-21, Galatians 2:20, 5:16-26 and Philippians 4:7)
3. Whom have you recently encouraged with the promises of God from scripture? Who has recently encouraged you in this way?
4. How can you encourage a specific brother or sister in Christ this week? Your family? Neighbor or stranger? Yourself?
5. How has God’s faithfulness led you to share with someone recently how good He has been to you even in the storms of life?
6. Pray for Easter Sunday and who you will invite.