The Rescue Begins: "Being a Follower of Christ"
The Rescue Begins: “Being a Follower of Jesus Christ”
Matthew 4:17-22, 9:9-13
Disciple-making is intentionally investing in others to see them love God, love others and make disciples.
I. Jesus calls us to repent and believe in Him. (Matthew 4:17)
Isaiah 45:22 - “Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.
Matthew 3:8 - “Bear fruit in keeping with repentance.”
Matthew 21:32 - “… the tax collectors and the prostitutes believed him. And even when you saw it, you did not afterward change your minds and believe him.
Mark 1:15 - “Jesus was saying, ‘The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of Godis at hand; repent and believein the gospel.’”
Acts 11:18 - “When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, ‘Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.’”
Romans 7:24-25 - “ Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver mefrom this body of death? Thanks be to God throughJesus Christ our Lord!”
Repentance is a turning of the affections of my heart and the directionof my life so that I love God and love what He loves.
II. Jesus calls us to surrender all and follow Him. (Matthew 4:18-22)
John 20:21 - “Jesus said to them again, ‘Peacebe with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.’”
III. Jesus calls us to follow Him into a life of discipleship.
Be a friend and pray.
Eat with them.
Show and share the gospel.
~Would you come to …C group… MCC… Meet?
~ How could I pray for you OR I would like to pray….
~ Do you ever think of spiritual matters? God?
~Are you happy where you are spiritually?
~You know I am a follower of Christ… (Gospel is shared!)
My life before Christ- How I came to Christ- My life after Christ.
Romans 1:16 – “For I am not ashamedof the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvationto everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.”
Faith Sheet for Friends and Family this Week
1. Where did your life change the most after you became a follower of Jesus? How did others respond to this change?
2. Explain repentance and how do we distinguish between repentance and worldly regret or sorrow?
3. Word of the week: Follow- “To walk behind or with someone.” – How are you intentionally helping others follow Christ?
4. Why were the Pharisees so concerned about being contaminated by sinful people instead of being confident of God’s power to cleanse?
5. How can we specifically follow Matthew’s ministry to lost friends with our own hospitality and outreach to others?
6. Review the acronym BLESS from Sunday, discuss how to live this kind of life, and pray for one another to live a missional life.