The Rescue Begins: Proclaiming the Greatness of the Bridegroom
The Rescue Begins: “Proclaiming the Greatness of the Bridegroom”
Luke 7:28 – “Jesus said, ‘I tell you, among those born of women none is greater than John. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.’”
I. Since we are the Bride of Christ, we proclaim the greatness of the Bridegroom. (John 3:22-29a)
Revelation 21:9 - “Then came one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues and spoke to me, saying, ‘Come, I will show you the Bride, the wife of the Lamb.’”
Bride of Christ: God’s chosen people who experience His unmerited kindness and now have a place of intimacy, identity, oneness, authority, calling, and total acceptance in Christ.
II. Our proclamation also comes from being the Bridegroom’s friend. (John 3:29-30)
III. Our proclamation is most impactful when shared with joy and humility. (John 3:29-30)
IV. Our proclamation will be attacked with doubt and uncertainty. (Matthew 11:2-3)
V. Our proclamation will be marked with difficulty and even death. (Matthew 10:34-39)
Matthew 14:3-4, 8-11
VI. Our proclamation will be effective because the Father loves the Son. (John 3:31-36)
John 6:37 - “Jesus said, ‘All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.’”
Faith Sheet for Friends and Family this Week
1. Why is it necessary for us to understand who God is and that we are His Bride in order to proclaim Him faithfully to others?
2. When have you last felt like the success of someone else was a threat to you personally or made you feel inadequate? How did you respond?
3. How can we guard against “proclaiming ourselves” as Lord rather than Jesus? (see 2 Corinthians 4:5)
4. How might churches and ministries point to themselves more than toward Jesus?
5. What do the following scriptures reveal about our ministry and proclamation to others? Use these to also pray. (1 Samuel 12:24, 2 Chronicles 15:7, Psalm 96:3, Matthew 23:11, Mark 10:45, John 12:26, 13:34-35, Acts 4:29, Romans 12:9-13, Galatians 5:13, Philippians 2:12-14, Hebrews 6:10, and 1 Peter 2:9.)