Series: The Gospel Story
Jesus Changes Everything: "Jesus Changes Our Hope"- Part 2
November 04, 2018 | Todd Cyphers
Jesus Changes Everything: “Jesus Changes Our Hope” - Part 2
“Hope” – Confident expectation in the Lord.
Romans 15:13 - “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.”
Philippians 3:3 - “For we…who worship by the Spirit of Godand glory in Christ Jesus… put no confidence in the flesh.”
Psalm 78:5-7 - “…He commanded our fathers to teach to their children…to tell of (God’s wonders) to their children, so that they should set their hope in God…”
I. See the risen Lord. (Matthew 28:1-7)
Psalm 27:8 - “You said, ‘Seek my face.’ My heart says to you, ‘Your face, LORD, do I seek.’”
Psalm 105:4 - “Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually!”
Psalm 63:2 - “So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory.”
2 Corinthians 3:18 - “And we all… beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.”
II. Stop and worship the risen Lord. (Matthew 28:8-9)
Psalm 46:10 - “Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
III. Speak about the risen Lord. (Matthew 28:7, 10-15)
Gospel Conversation Goals:
1. Pray daily for the lost.
Acts 16:14 - “One who heard us was a woman named Lydia…The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul.”
2. Speak daily about God and His work.
Psalm 40:5 - “I will speak of Your wonderous deeds…”
3. Proclaim the Gospel weekly with fellow believers.
Colossians 3:16 - “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another...singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs…giving thanks to God the Father through him.”
4. Proclaim the Gospel weekly with non-believers.
2 Corinthians 4:5 - “For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake.”
Faith Sheet This Week
1. What are the easiest discussions in life for you to get excited about and want to share with others? What are some of the hardest?
2. Why do you think we so instinctively desire to share our experiences with others?
3. Why did Jesus choose to appear first to the women rather than appearing directly to the disciples?
4. Why is joyful worship and awe a necessary part of our mission to share the good news of Jesus’ crucifixion and resurrection?
5. How does Jesus’ glorified body help us understand part of the end goal of the salvation of His people?
6. Why is the resurrection such an important part of the proclamation of the gospel of Jesus Christ? How do we get to the point of speaking of the resurrection in a conversation? Review the four Gospel conversation goals and discuss how we can assist each other in these goals. Pray for someone who needs Christ.