Series: The Gospel Story
The Church on Mission: "The Spirit-led Gospel Community"
January 06, 2019 | Todd Cyphers
The Church on Mission: “The Spirit-led Gospel Community”
Missional: Living daily for the mission of Christ to see people love God, love others and become disciple-makers.
Church: Consists of everyone, everywhere, who has a faith relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.
Spirit-led: Living daily relying on the Spirt as we learn from Scripture how to leave our old life behind and walk in our new life in Christ.
I. The Holy Spirit fully indwells every believer. (Acts 2:1-4)
Ezekiel 36:26-27 – “I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and… I will put my Spirit within you and cause you to walk in my statutes.”
John 14:15-17 – “Jesus said… ‘I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth… he dwells with you and will be in you.’”
Five Truths About the Spirit Indwelling Us:
1. He causes our salvation.
Titus 3:5 - “He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but… by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit.”
2. He makes Christ’s presence real to us each day.
Psalm 139:7-8 - “Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!”
3. He makes our connection real with others.
2 Corinthians 13:14- “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.”
4. He makes our ministry effective to others.
1 Peter 4:11 - “…whoever speaks… whoever serves… serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ.”
5. He produces Christ-likeness in us.
Galatians 5:16 - “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh…”
II. The Holy Spirit enables us to give a confident proclamation of Jesus Christ. (Acts 2:22-40)
III. The Holy Spirit builds a Gospel community. (Acts 2:41-47)
1. Devoted to God’s Word.
2. Devoted to One Another.
3. Devoted to Hospitality and authentic living.
4. Devoted to Praying.
Hudson Taylor (1832-1905) “Has the whole church ever, since the days before Pentecost, put aside every other work and waited for Him for ten days, that that power might be manifested? …
Has there not been a source of failure here? We have given too much attention to methods, and to machinery, and to resources, and too little to the Source of Power; the filling with the Holy (Spirit).”
1. What are the blessings of an anonymous gift? Of a gift from a known giver?
2. How have you recently experienced deep community through the Holy Spirit? How did it affect your spiritual life?
3. What thoughts or expectations do you have regarding the filling of the Holy Spirit in a believer’s life? Read Ephesians 5:18 and Colossains 3:16. Why are these two truths important to know?
4. How does the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit in a believer’s life cause discomfort at times? Provide comfort?
5. How should the indwelling of the Spirit change the way believers live? Pray? Worship? Evangelize? After answering read Acts 1:8, Galatians 5:16-25, Ephesians 5:16-27 and John 15:7-8. Use these truths to pray for one another.