Stories and Signs: "The Sower and the Soils"
Stories and Signs: “The Sower and the Soils”
Mark 4:1-9, 14-20
I. The Word of God and the Hardened Heart. (Mark 4:1-4,10-15)
II. The Word of God and the Shallow Heart. (Mark 4:5-6,16-17)
~ Charles E. Hackett said, “A soul at the altar does not generate much excitement in some circles because we realize approximately ninety-five out of every hundred will not become integrated into the church.”
~A crusade reported 18,000 decisions - yet, … “94 percent failed to become incorporated into a local church.”
III. The Word of God and the Distracted Heart. (Mark 4:7,18-19)
IV. The Word of God and the Fruitful Heart. (Mark 4:8-12,20-24)
Truths for us:
1. Discipleship is best.
~ Barna states that research since 1995 indicates “that only 9% of all American adults have a biblical worldview.”
Are they ready to E.A.T. ?
2. Application brings the most. (Mark 4:24-25)
“He said to them,‘Pay attention to what you hear: with the measure you use, it will be measured to you, and still more will be added to you… the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not… what he has will be taken away.’”
3. Trust takes us the farthest.
Luke 8:15 - “As for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruitwith patience.
Faith Sheet for Friends and Family this Week
1. What are some characteristics of a heart receptive to hear the good news of the gospel of Jesus?
2. What are some worries and desires of this world that can “choke the word” and make it unfruitful that are common to humanity today?
3. Does Satan have the power to do whatever he wants with God’s truth proclaimed to others? Why or why not? Read Psalm 115:3.
4. What do you appreciate about God after reading Jesus’ parable of the sower and the soils?
5. ReviewTruths for Us from Sunday and use them to lead your prayer time.