The Rescue Begins: "Rescuing Religious People"
The Rescue Begins: Rescuing Religious People
“You cannot believe in God until you believe in yourself.” Swami Vivekananda
I. Jesus’ Mission: To be glorified by all. (Luke 4:14-15)
John 17:1-2 - “When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, ‘Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you…’” - Crosssince you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. - Inheritance
John 16:13-14 - “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth… He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you.” - Obedience
II. Jesus’ Message: Good News for sinners. (Luke 4:16-22)
Our Condition without Christ:
1. We are poor,bankrupt before God.
2. We are captives,in bondage to sin.
3. We are blind,blind toward Him.
4. We are oppressed, broken in pieces.
“Year of Jubilee” was to balance the economic system every 50 years– the land was allowed to rest, slaves returned to their families, property went back to original owners, debts were canceled, and they had a year of celebration. Great trust and delight!
III. Jesus’ Method – Proclaim the truth in love. (Luke 4:23-30)
Faith Sheet for Friends and Family this Week
1. When have you recently felt rejected by someone that stuck with you for a while? What transpired to overcome this feeling of rejection? When have you faced rejection because of your faith?
2. How does the closeness of your relationship to the Lord and His people impact the feeling of rejection?
3. Jesus redeemed us from spiritual captivity. Study the four main ways this passage says He redeems us. How can you be used to see this happen in people around you?
4. Read John 3:19 &Romans 1:16-32. What problems of the heart are we to be praying about as we share the Good News with others?
5. In what ways does our endurance in the midst of rejection or opposition strengthen our witness and mission? Read 2 Corinthians 4:1-12 and commit to proclaiming Him by His strength. Pray for those you know who need the true God.