Series: The Gospel Story
1/12/20, The Story Begins: Created in God's Image
January 12, 2020 | Todd Cyphers
The Story Begins: Created in God’s Image
January 12, 2020
Skye Jethani - “What brings a person value, significance, and hope is not what he does, but with whom he does it. The call to live in continual communion with God means that every person’s life, no matter how mundane, is elevated to sacred heights.”
Ben Witherington III - “Work, whether it involves plumbing a sink or plumbing the depths of the cosmos, in the hands of a Christian, is ministry.”
Mathew 22:37-39 – “And Jesus said…‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind… and…You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’”
I. Image is what Motivates us to Enjoy God, Life and Each Other. (Genesis 1:27, 31)
1 Timothy 1:10-11 - ”…(proclaim) sound doctrine, in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed (joyful, happy, fortunate) God…”
John 15:11 - “Jesus said, ‘These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.’”
John 17:26 - “I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.”
II. Image Reveals there is God Given Value to Every Person. (Genesis 1:27)
III. Image Compels us to Rule Wisely Over the World. (Genesis 1:28-31)
Tim Keller - “Nature is… not ‘bad’ and needs to be beaten down, but it is…uncultivated. When we take a piece of land and garden/farm it…when we take fabric and make a piece of clothing…push a broom to clean up…when we take an unformed…human mind and teach it a subject, when we take (noises) and…create music…whenever we bring order out of chaos…we elaborate and ‘unfold’ creation further than where it was when we found it…”
IV. Image is Meant to Establish the Morals of our Society. (Genesis 1:26)
James 3:8-10 – “…the tongue….is a restless evil… With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God… My brothers, these things ought not to be so.”
Declaration of Independence - “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.”
Tim Keller – “Community service (save the animals, environment, feed everyone) has become a patch for morality. You can devote your life to community service and be a total schmuck.”
V. Image is to Define Our Marriages. (Genesis 2:15-25)
John 17:20-21 - “Jesus (prayed)… that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.”
Reviewing This Past Sunday
1. Read Genesis 1:26-2:25. What stands out to you as you read about our beginning? What are you thankful for from this passage?
2. What comes to mind when you think of humanity being created and designed “in the image of God”?
3. How does being made in His image impact your daily life?
4. What are some areas of authority you have been given that you want to oversee better this year?
5. What are your thoughts concerning all the animals, the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky; as living creatures that God has entrusted to our care?
6. In what ways does our culture demean and diminish the value of work? In what ways do you value work? How do you get to witness about Christ at work?
7. What makes rest and sabbath difficult for you? Pray for one another to work and rest in a way that glorifies God.