Series: ...for Today
Decision Making for Today
September 27, 2020 | Todd Cyphers
Decision Making for Today
Wisdom is seeing and also living life from God's perspective. It is a gift from God and a skill that can be matured.
Biblical wisdom is revealed in Christ-like attitudes, words and actions.
Proverbs 9:10 - “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.”
Psalm 119:99 - “I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation.”
I. The Problem: Unbelief.
Faith is trust, dependence, completely willing to follow Christ.
James 1:5-8 – “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.”
Three ways Unbelief makes me Unstable:
1. Unstable Emotions. (James 1:5-7)
Proverbs 29:11 - “A fool continually loses his temper…”
Anger is feeling someone has wronged me and is indebted to me.
Proverbs 12:25 - “Anxiety weighs down the heart…”
Anxiety is feeling someone or something is continually wrong.
Proverbs 14:30 - "…envy rots the bones."
Jealousy is feeling someone is doing better than me or has it better than me.
Proverbs 17:22 - “…a crushed spirit dries up the bones.”
Hopelessness is feeling broken, trapped and forsaken.
2, Unstable Relationships. (James 1:5-7)
3. Unstable Spiritual Life. (James 1:7-8)
James 1:7-8 - “For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."
James 4:2 – “You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask.”
II. God’s Answer to Making Wise Faith Decisions:
1. Admit My Need.
James 1:5 – “If any of you lacks wisdom…”
Proverbs 11:2 - “When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.”
2, Ask for Wisdom.
James 1:5 – “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.”
Proverbs 2:6 – “For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.”
3. Anticipate the Answer.
James 1:6 – “But let him ask in faith, with no doubting …”
Hebrews 11:6 - "And without faith it is impossible to please God. Anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and He rewards those who earnestly seek Him."
Luke 12:32 - Jesus said, “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.”
Going Deeper This Week
- Read James 1:5-11. What do you appreciate about God? What does this scripture prompt you to do?
- Wisdom is the ability to see life as God sees it and then apply His truth into daily life. Read Proverbs 9:10. How does wisdom start? How valuable is wisdom according to Proverbs 23:23? Read Proverbs 2:6 and Psalm 119:99. How does one continually grow in wisdom?
- What is one way you are helping your children, grandchildren, or friends grow in wisdom?
- Discuss who you pray with often and what you most ask for when you pray. How is your fasting going? Pray for God’s wisdom in a specific area of your life.