Series: ...for Today
God's Truth For Today
October 11, 2020 | Todd Cyphers
God’s Truth For Today
I. Rejoice in God’s Word.
James 1:18 – “Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.”
2 Corinthians 4:6 - “For God, who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.”
II. Receive God’s Word.
James 1:19 – “…let every person be quick to hear …”
Three Common Barriers:
Distractions, Anger, Self-confidence
James 1:19 – “…let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger…”
James 1:21 – “…receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.”
Psalm 119:47 - “I find my delight in your commandments, which I love.”
III. Reflect on God’s Word.
James 1:25 (ESV) – “But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres…”
IV. Respond obediently to God’s Word.
James 1:22 – “But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.”
James 1:25 – “… (the one who) perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.”
Three Characteristics of Obedience in Christ:
1. Controlling my tongue.
James 1:26 – “If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless.”
2. Caring for the least of these.
James 1:27 – “Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction…”
Micah 6:8 - “…what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”
3. Christlike living in the world.
James 1:27 “…and to keep oneself unstained from the world.”
Amos 2:7 (NIV) - “They trample on the heads of the poor… and deny justice to the oppressed. Father and son use the same girl and so profane my holy name.”
Matthew 12:30 (ESV) - “Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.”
Going Deeper This Week
1. Read James 1:18-27. What do you appreciate about God? What is the main truth that you learned?
2. Since truth is reality (the way everything really is) why do you think so many people don’t seek God’s truth in their daily lives?
3. Describe a typical time with God in His word. How would you like to grow in this area starting this week?
4. What bothers you or encourages you about the movement today to practice social justice? How can we as Christians bring clarity to the phrase social justice? (Micah 6:8, Colossians 2:8, Matthew 12:30, and John 8:31-32)
5. Read Joshua 1:8-9 and Psalm 40:8, Psalm 34:8. What is important concerning mediating on God’s truth in order to obey it? Pray these passages for others.