Series: ...for Today
Overcoming Temptation for Today
October 04, 2020 | Todd Cyphers
Overcoming Temptation For Today
I. Be Honest.
James 1:13 – “Let no one say when he is tempted…”
1 Corinthians 10:13 (NLT) - "The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience.”
II. Accept Responsibility.
James 1:13 – “Let no one say when he is tempted, ‘I am being tempted by God,’ for God cannot be tempted with evil, and He himself tempts no one.”
III. Be Prepared.
James 1:16 – “Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers…”
James 1:14 – “But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.”
James 1:16, 14 – “Do not be deceived, my beloved brother… But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.”
James 1:15 – “Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin…”
James 1:15 – “…and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.”
IV. Be Refocused.
James 1:17 – “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights…”
James 4:7-8 - “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.”
James 5:16 – “…confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.”
Matthew 26:41 - Jesus said, “Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation…”
Ephesians 6:11 - “Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.”
1 Corinthians 10:13 - “…when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
Matthew 5:29 - “If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you…”
Growing Deeper This Week
Monthly Transformation Verse: James 1:22 – “But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.”
Weekly Reading Plan: James 1:12-18; Psalm 53; 2 Corinthians 9
1. Read James 1:12-18. What do you most appreciate about God? Review the truths from Sunday with someone.
2. What was your strongest temptation as a child?
3. Who are you most honest with about your struggles? How does this help you keep moving forward in your walk with Jesus?
4. How is God described in James 1:17? Describe a way you have grown in knowing Him in this way.
5. Read 1 Corinthians 10:13, Philippians 4:8-9, and Hebrews 4:15-16. What promises are given to us to ensure we win over temptation?
6. Read the Biblical Affirmations together and then take communion at home. Celebrate Christ!