Series: ...for Today
True Faith for Today
October 25, 2020 | Todd Cyphers
True Faith for Today
Paul (Gal 2:16) James (Ja. 2:24)
Problem: "Legalism" "License"
Focus: "Root of salvation" "Fruit of salvation"
Purpose: How to know How to show
I'm a Christian I'm a Christian
I. Is Not Just Something I Say. (James 2:14)
II. Is Not Just Something I Feel. (James 2:15-16)
III. Is More Than What I Think. (James 2:18-19)
IV. True Faith in Jesus is Totally Life Changing. (James 2:20-26)
1. Growth in loving God.
James 2:20-24 – “Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, ‘Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness’—and he was called a friend of God. You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.”
2. Growth in loving others.
James 2:25 – “And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way?”
3. Growth in making disciples.
James 2:26 – “For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.”
Acts 1:8 – “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem…Judea…Samaria… to the end of the earth.”
Going Deeper This Week
1. What are you thankful for this week? Read James 2:14-26. What is most meaningful to you in this scripture?
2. Explain the Gospel to someone in your group and later pray for one another to proclaim the Gospel this week.
3. How do you react when a person talks a lot but produces little or no fruit?
4. Read verse 19. Why is knowledge of God not enough? What is wrong with the demon’s belief?
5. Read Ezekiel 33:31 and 1 John 3:16-18. What marks a true follower of Christ? What is difficult about living out Gospel ministry in our world? How are you and your family living out Gospel compassion as you proclaim Christ?
6. Read Romans 11:6 and 2 Corinthians 13:5. Share some reasons you know that you are a follower of Jesus. If not yet a follower, what is an obstacle for you to completely trust and follow Him?