Prayer and Fasting
We are in the middle of fasting and praying for six weeks in order that God reveal to us where He would place us in the community and the world to reach unreached people. Many of us are fasting & praying for family or personal issues. Several of you have told me what God has done in your prayer and fasting times and I pray that all of us will hear His voice & encounter Him in one way or another. I have enclosed the “How To Spend An Hour With God” prayer guide. I use it and I hope it will be helpful to you. Maybe you would prayerfully aim for once a week to get alone with God for one hour and build a habit of prevailing prayer. Maybe you will use this guide when you feel dry spiritually or when you are at a crossroad with a decision. I encourage you to place this in your Bible and there will also be copies of this guide on stock card at the Welcome center for you.
Jesus said in Matthew 7:7, "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.”
In His Grace,
How to Spend an Hour with God
Give five minutes each to the following twelve activities:
1. Praise the Lord for who He is (Heb. 13:15, Isa 46:9, Ps 145:3; 77:13).
2. Read some Scripture to meet & follow Christ (Ps 105:4; 119:105-112).
3. Meditate on what you read (Josh. 1:8, 1 Cor. 2:9-10, Jn 6:63).
4. Confess your sins & false beliefs (1 John 1:9, Psalm 51).
5. Pray using some Scripture. (Matthew 6:9-14).
6. Listen and be sensitive to God’s leadings (Ps. 46:10; 62:1).
7. Intercede for others (Col. 1:9-14, Romans 8:26-27).
8. Petition God for your own needs (James 4:2, Matthew 7:7).
9. Pray for your pastor (1 Thess. 5:12-13, Eph. 6:19, 1 Tim 4:16).
10. Pray for “open doors” to evangelize (Col. 4:2-6, Acts 16:14).
11. Pray for public leaders (1 Tim. 2:1-8).
12. Give thanks for salvation & all you have in Christ (Ps. 136, Eph. 2:1-10).
Based on a prayer by Don Miller from Bible-Based Prayer Ministries.