Series: The Gospel Story
Messes and Masterpieces: Overcoming Hardship with God's Joy
July 07, 2019 | Todd Cyphers
Messes and Masterpieces: Overcoming Hardship with God’s Joy
John 15:11 - Jesus said, “These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.”
John 17:13 - (Jesus praying said), “But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves.”
“Joy” - Satisfied experience of the soul that comes from being loved in Christ and compels us to proclaim Christ to others.”
I. Joy in Seeing the Good News Advance. (Philippians 1:12-18a)
II. Joy in Honoring Christ in Life or Death. (Philippians 1:18b-30)
Erie Times Paper 4-30-19
…one word that best describes my church…“fun.”
…the service is like a loud rock concert….
“If you would enjoy being part of a church that is fun and never boring, please come join me.”
David Platt - “What if we take away the cool music and the cushioned chairs? What if the screens are gone and the stage is no longer decorated? What if the air conditioning is off and the comforts are removed? Would His Word still be enough for his people to come together?”
a. How well is MCC preparing me to walk joyfully in loving God and other in Christ? (How am I…)
b. How well is MCC preparing me to disciple others? (How am I…)
c. How well is MCC preparing me to live and also die for Christ? (How am I…)
Richard Wurmbrand - “It was strictly forbidden to preach to other prisoners. It was understood that whoever was caught doing this received a severe beating. A number of us decided to pay the price for the privilege of preaching, …we accepted their terms: It was a deal; we preached and they beat us. We were happy preaching; they were happy beating us-so everyone was happy.”
How to Refresh Our Joy in Hardship.
1. Rest in God’s Sovereignty.
Philippians 4:10-13 - “I rejoiced in the Lord greatly…for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low…and how to abound…I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”
2. Enjoy God’s Sufficiency.
Philippians 4:19 - “And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.”
Discuss This Week
1. How do you think believers in other parts of the world are able to endure hardships and persecution for Christ?
2. When have you lately seen God using suffering in you or your family to advance the gospel?
3. What are some of your greatest challenges to living in abundant, over-flowing, Christ-like joy?
4. What lessons can we learn from Paul’s encouragement to the Philippians while he was in prison?
5. How can you joyfully and continually participate in the advance of the gospel to your family, friends and the nations in this season of your life?(Read and use these truths in praying for one another. Philippians 1:6, 12, 20-21, 29, 2:14-15, 3:8, 21, 4:4 & 4:10-13)