Relying on His Finished Work at the Cross
March 20, 2016 | Todd Cyphers
Relying on His Finished Work At The Cross
I. His Purpose: Cleanse and change many.
II. His Rejection: Total and worldwide.
III. His Substitution: Complete exchange.
IV. His Obedience: Perfect and effective.
Romans 5:10 – "…while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son...we shall also be saved by His life."
Transformation verse – Jesus said…”Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19
~ The Lord Jesus is the One who established the New Covenant of grace
with His people. (Hebrews 8:6-13)
~ The Lord Jesus’ death took away the righteous judgment of God for all
believers. (Romans 3:24-25)
~ The Lord Jesus reconciled all races of people who follow Him. (Ephesians
~ The Lord Jesus now sends us to all people to declare Him, His death, and
His resurrection. (John 20:21)
#1 - Reviewing this Past Sunday
Following Jesus: Relying on His Finished Work
Isaiah 52:13- 53:12
1. Read Isaiah 52:13 through 53:12. Discuss the message with someone.
2. How does it encourage you that the Bible foretold Jesus’ life, death, and
resurrection 700 hundred years before the Lord Jesus entered this world?
3. What all do you think Jesus thought and felt the last day of His time on
earth? (Think about this from the Isaiah passage.)
4. What does His decision to die for our sins tell us about the seriousness of
rebellion against Him? (Romans 6:23) What does it tell you about His
love for the Father? (John 12:27-28) His love for you? (Ephesians 1:3-14)
5. How could His substitutionary death and resurrection impact your daily
life? Confidence? Issues with sin? Insecurity? Guilt? Worry?
Hopelessness? (1 Corinthians 6:20, 2 Corinthians 5:21 and Romans
6. Pray to fully trust in Him as your Savior and resurrected King.
# 2 - Preparing for Next Sunday
Following Jesus: Trusting in the Resurrected King
1. Read John 20:19-31. What day did Jesus appear to His disciples?
2. What did Jesus say and what did He show the disciples? (19-20)
3. Why were they hiding? Where is it risky in America to reveal our faith?
4. How did the disciples respond to seeing Jesus? (20)
5. What did He now commission them to do? (21)
6. What did Jesus tell His disciples about their future? (22-23)
7. Describe Thomas’ struggles, (24-25)
8. What is Thomas’ confession? (26-29) Is it your confession?
9. Why was the Gospel of John written? (30-31)
10. When you have doubts in your faith, what strengthens your faith?
11. To whom has Jesus sent you?
12. Praise Him as the resurrected King.