Series: The Gospel Story
Prophets and Kings: "Opposition, God's Glory and our Prayers"
November 05, 2017 | Todd Cyphers
2 Kings 19:14-19
Prophets and Kings: Opposition, God’s Glory and Our Prayers
2 Kings 19:14-19
I. The world opposes God’s people. (2 Kings 19:1-13)
2 Kings 18:32-33 - “… But do not listen to Hezekiah when he misleads you, saying, ‘The Lord will deliver us.’ Has any one of the gods of the nations delivered his land from the hand of the king of Assyria?”
1. Do not fear.
2. Reject the ungodly words.
3. Know the Lord is your Defender.
4. Remember Satan’s limits.
2 Corinthians 4:4 - “…the god of this world…”
2 Corinthians 11:14 - “…Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.”
Matthew 24:4 - “Jesus answered… ‘See to it that no one misleads you.’”
1 John 4:1 - “…test the spirits to see if they are from God…”
2 Corinthians 11:3 - “I am afraid that you…will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.”
1 John 4:4 - “You are from God… He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.”
James 4:7-8 - “Submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God…”
5. Don’t forget the why of spiritual warfare.
II. God’s people ask God to exalt His name and He does. (2 Kings 19:14-19)
1. Appeal to God’s name.
John 14:13 - “Whatever you ask in my name, I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.”
2. Give the problem to God.
Luke 22:42 - “Jesus said, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.’”
3. Ask God to specifically work.
John 17 - He (Jesus) said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify Your Son, that the Son may glorify You…
9 I ask on their behalf; I do not ask on behalf of the world, but of those whom You have given Me; for they are Yours.
13 But now I come to You (Father)… so that they may have My joy made full in themselves.
15 …keep them from the evil one.
17 Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth. 18 As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.
21…that the world may believe that You sent Me.
Faith Sheet for Friends and Family This Week
1. What are some ways Satan is wreaking havoc in this generation and how do you believe we are to respond?
2. In what ways does our understanding of God shape the way we daily live among people who oppose us?
3. How will seeing hardship through the lens of God’s glory change how you handle life’s challenges? What is to be our main motivation in those times? (2 Corinthians 5:9)
4. Why is the Lord eager to be victorious for His people?
5. Read Romans 15:30-32 and Colossians 4:2-5. Why did Paul pray so specifically? What were his priorities in life? Use these passages to pray as a group.