Series: The Gospel Story
Prophets and Kings: "The New Covenant"
December 10, 2017 | Todd Cyphers
Prophets and Kings: “The New Covenant”
I. The Problem of a Heart Engraved with Sin. (Jeremiah 17:1-10)
Acts 26:18 - “I am sending you to open their eyes & to turn them from darkness to light…from the power of Satan to God…to faith in me.”
II. The Promise of a Heart changed by the LORD. (Jeremiah 31:31-33)
1. We now are indwelt by the Spirit.
2 Corinthians 3:3 - “It is clear that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written with… the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.”
2. We now intimately know Him.
3. We now consume His word.
Jeremiah 15:16 - “Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O LORD, God of hosts.”
4. We now boast about Him.
Jeremiah 9:24 - “…let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord…”
5. We now minister to the needy.
Jeremiah 22:16 - “He pled the cause of the afflicted and needy… ‘Is not that what it means to know Me?’ Declares the Lord.”
6. We now have His joy.
Jeremiah 31:11,14 - “The Lord has ransomed Jacob…They will…shout for joy… My people will be satisfied…”
7. We now depend on Him.
Jeremiah 33:3 - “Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.”
John 15:4 (ESV) - “Abide in me, and I in you.”
Faith Sheet for Friends and Family This Week
1. How does knowing rebellion is part of a person’s spiritual DNA impact the way you understand the importance of the gospel? (Romans 1:16, Titus 3:1-8, 2 Corinthians 3:4-6)
2. What are some ways you could cultivate a greater desire to know God in your life? Who are you discipling to know God better?
3. In what ways should our personal knowledge of God motivate us to make God known in the world? (2 Cor. 5:14, 1 John 1:1-4)
4. Read about the New Covenant and discuss how we are to live according to this covenant God has made with us. (Isaiah 54:10, Jeremiah 31:31-34, Luke 22:14-20, Hebrews 7:18-19,23-25, 8:4-13, 9:15, 10:1-5,15-18, 12:18-24, 13:20, Revelation 21:1-4)