Series: The Gospel Story
The Rescue Begins: "The New Birth"
May 27, 2018 | Todd Cyphers
The Rescue Begins: The New Birth
We are saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, with the word alone,for God’s glory alone.
I. Our New birth is Created by the Spirit. (John 3:1-10)
Regeneration is God’s free and supernatural transformation inside all believers that is expressed by faith in Christ.
Ezekiel 36:26-27 - “And Iwill give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you… I will remove the heart of stone… and cause you to walk in my statutes…”
Titus 3:3-6 - “For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient…slavesto various passions and pleasures… he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness…butby the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit… through Jesus Christ our Savior.”
Ephesians 2:1-7 - “You were dead in the trespasses and sins…But God, being rich inmercy, because of the great lovewith which he loved us… even when we were deadin our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ.”
2 Corinthians 4:4-6 - “…the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God…For God, who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ has shone in our heartsto give the light of the knowledge of the glory of Godin the face of Jesus Christ.”
Mark 3:27 - “But no one can enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. Then indeed he may plunder his house.”
Zechariah 4:6 - “Then he said to me, “…Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of hosts.”
II. Our new birth comes through faith in God’s Son. (John 3:11-15)
III. Our new birth results in transformation. (John 3:16-21)
Effects of Knowing God Saved Us:
1. Greater thankfulness for our salvation.
1 Corinthians 1:28-31 – “God chosewhat is low and despised… because of himyou are in Christ Jesus… so… boast in the Lord.”
2. Confidence in everyday life.
Romans 8:30,28 -“And those whom he predestined… know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
3. Passion to be Christ-like.
Romans 8:29 - “For those whom he foreknewhe also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son.”
4. Evangelism becomes a joy and a priority.
2 Timothy 2:10 - “Therefore I endure everythingfor the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvationthat is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.”
Faith Sheet for Friends and Family this Week
1. When have you been disappointed recently by some mechanical item not functioning as you thought it would? What was your reaction?
2. In your own words, what was missing in the life of Nicodemus?
3. How does Jesus’ interaction with Nicodemus provide a model for how we engage with those who are “spiritually” minded, but not believing in Christ?
4. In what areas of your life do you see the most transformation this past year? Read Psalm 86:10 and thank Him for your transformation.
5. Discuss the effects of knowing God saved us with your family or C group and use them in your prayer time.