Series: The Gospel Story
The Rescue Begins: "The One Who Rescues"
April 08, 2018 | Todd Cyphers
The Rescue Begins: The One Who Rescues
Zephaniah 3:20 - “…I will make you a name and a praise among all people of the earth…”
I. Jesus is the New Adam that brings Life to the nations. (Matthew 1:1-2)
Genesis 5:1 - “This is the book of the generations of Adam. When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God.”
Genesis 5:3 – “When Adam had lived 130 years, he fathered a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth.”
Genesis 5:8 – “Thus all the days of Seth were 912 years, and he died.”
Genesis 5:11 – “Thus all the days of Enosh were 905 years, and he died.”
Genesis 5:14: - “Thus all the days of Kenan were 910 years, and he died.”
Genesis 5:24 - “Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him.
1 Corinthians 15:45 - “Thus it is written, ‘The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit.’”
1 Corinthians 15:47 – “The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven.”
1 Corinthians 15:49 – “Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.”
II. Jesus is the Son of David who Reigns over the nations. (Matthew 1:1-2)
2 Samuel 7:13 - “…I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.”
Revelation 22:16 - “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”
III. Jesus is the Son of Abraham who brings Blessing to the nations. (Matthew 1:1-2)
Genesis 12:1-3 - “Now the Lord said to Abram… ‘I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing… and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.’”
Faith Sheet for Friends and Family this Week
1. Why the big interest today in our ancestry? Does our ancestry matter? Why?
2. What are some physical traits or personality quirks that are common to your family? How do these traits impact your life today or your sense of belonging to a family?
3. What does the inclusion of the four women in Jesus’ genealogy tell you about God’s desire to bless the whole world? Read Matthew 11:19 and discuss.
4. Word of the week- “Rescue” – “Save from danger, evil or destruction.” Discuss why we need God’s continual rescue. How are you and your family being used to rescue others?
5. Discuss these verses on rescue and then pray as He leads. Psalm 34:4, 35:10, 71:2, 72:12-14, 91:14-15, 142:6, 143:9, Proverbs 24:11, Luke 4;18, 19:10, 1 Corinthians 10:13, 2 Corinthians 12:9-10, Colossians 1:13, Revelation 2:10.